If you have or you are thinking of buying the best bedding for bearded dragons then there are certain things you need to keep in mind to ensure that it remains safe and sound and healthy and no harm comes to it. Though a lot of people have various hypotheses regarding the animal we can say that this animal can easily be tamed. Many things are given a thought some of which include the food that the reptile might need, the place for it to stay in, the bedding, the methods of caring, etc. When there are so many things to give a thought to it is natural to forget a few things or miss a few things. In that regard, we are here to answer most of the questions that one may have regarding this reptile that is popularly known as the bearded dragon.
What is a bearded dragon?
Bearded dragons are a genus of Pogonus, that is, this animal contains eight different species of reptiles. The term “bearded” came from the fact that the reptile has a beard. The underside of the throat of this reptile keeps changing color to black for many reasons one of which is stress.
Though some sources feel that instead of eight, nine species of reptiles combine to form this one reptile that is yet not properly proved.
What are the things to be kept in mind if you are going to pet a bearded dragon?
Certain things are extremely important to be kept in mind when you are going to pet a bearded dragon. Some of those things include:
- Though named a bearded dragon, some people think that it is a dragon, ascertaining that that is a wrong statement; a bearded dragon is a reptile genus and therefore a reptile in general.
- The bite of a bearded dragon can cause pain as its teeth are knife-like and therefore it will hurt a lot but the amount of pain is also proportional to the size and age of the reptile.
- Often people fear that these reptiles might not be able to get along with humans but that is wrong as these reptiles tend to get tamed by humans and show a lot of love and care towards them. They like to be held by their owners and do not cause any harm to them.
- One of the major things you need to keep in mind is the food that needs to be fed to this reptile. When going to pet bearded dragons ensure that you properly learn about the food that this dragon is supposed to have and strictly abide by it.
- One must also ensure the place that will be given to the reptile as shelter and the bed that will be given to it so that it can stay safe and sound considering the weather.
What kind of bedding does a bearded dragon need?
It is extremely important to ensure good bedding for a bearded dragon. Reason being the fact that these are desert reptiles that are used to a dry and warm environment and they depend on their owners to maintain their mess. These reptiles are prone to health conditions called impaction. Therefore, it is important to ensure that their bedding is clean and dry and not dangerous if they swallow it.
Sand and similar material
– since a reptile is used to a desert environment, it is fairly obvious to choose sand or sand-like products for the reptile as bedding. But it is also important to know that swallowing sand can cause a blockage in the intestinal tract which is an impaction. Therefore, it is necessary to ensure that reptiles are safe. This kind of bedding is especially not safe for a baby bearded dragon. There are special sands that are made of calcium, also called vita-sands. Most of the owners use this sand but there is still speculation as some people still believe that these are harmful to them
– another kind of bedding that can be used in the case of the bearded dragons are the reptile carpets or the cage liners. These are synthetic carpets made to stimulate grass or sand. These are simply laid across the floor as bedding for the reptile. One problem with this is that sometimes the claws of the reptile might get caught in the weaves of the carpet; therefore, it is necessary to buy closely woven carpets.
– these are one of the best options as bedding for the bearded dragon. Many stores sell this as bedding by using a recycled and shredded newspaper that has moisture in it. This is great because if the reptile wants to dig in without having any problems then it can easily do so. The drawback of this remains that it does not give much a feel of the sand and it can also retain the moisture.
Bark and mulch
– these can also be used as bedding for the bearded dragon but these are not much used by the people reason being that it retains a lot of moisture and sitting in an enclosed area it can create moisture more than what is desired.
– these have come into trend recently and are being used. Ceramic tiles that are used in bathrooms or kitchen can be used as bedding for the reptile and can make it feel like sand without causing any implications.
– one other way of creating bedding for the bearded dragon is the excavator clay. One of the major pros of excavator clay is that you can create tunnels and other formations out of it and it will give an aesthetic look.
Therefore, if you are willing to buy a bearded dragon or searching ways to shelter it then stop thinking best bedding for bearded dragons and pick the most suitable options for you and enjoy some amazing time with your little pet.